Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Snookums, the Sequel

Last night I had a dream that started out a nightmare but ended up being the best dream ever. I was pregnant, in the very early stages of pregnancy, riding in the back seat of a car being driven by a sort of hippie dude who appeared to be a family friend. He started singing some cowboy song -- I think it was "Git along, little dogies" -- and at that same moment, the car radio started playing the same song. As he was exclaiming on the cosmicness of the coincidence, I suddenly felt a slight pain and something fall out of me. I realized I'd miscarried, and my sister rummaged around on the floor of the car and pulled out a dead fetus, a boy, only a few inches long. At first I was so sad, but as my sister and I were holding him he came back to life, so I took him and opened my shirt so he could press against my bare chest. I thought how lucky I was to have a brother for Snookums, with no labor pains and without having to take drugs

No comments: